Tuesday, March 31, 2009

SLOSS- Monday

Everyone arrived safely by late morning and the students went right to orientation for the student cupola contest. They were assigned a number of tasks to complete including breaking iron, 300# for each of the 14 groups, making production molds that will be cast during the competition and getting their rigs set up at the assigned location. They were extremely busy all day. James met up with some of his large mold making participants and got working right away on an especially complicated large mold for a lady named Caro, here from England with her husband. She is a very cool person and someone worth keeping in touch with. I met with some of my workshop leaders, and then basically ran around helping James and Caro when needed and anyone else.
There are probably already 100 or so folks here working and soon that will triple as more workshops get going and then the general conference starts up on Wednesday. I have been running into dozens of old friends, we call it the iron pouring family. Many are artists I have worked with, gone to grad school with or even had shows with, some were once my students. There is a vibrant and exciting energy about this place, especially with so many artists working together.
I think our students and James are doing an exceptional job and are doing great at holding USM in it's esteemed place as a leader in iron education in the south. On Friday I have a panel presentation to give on contemporary trends in cast iron art, I still have some prep to do.
The days are long, eating is something you do when you have a minute and sleeping only comes when everything is finished. I left at 8:30 last night, I talked to Taylor and they were just going grocery shopping at 10:00. It's going to be a long week, never mind that Tuesday is starting off with thunder storms. I hope everyone has good tents!

No comments:

Post a Comment